Tuesday, January 02, 2007

And another one.

Please forgive me. I have no lovely little messages of inspiration about the coming year, or nice anecdotes about the year that's ended. I am feeling total nothingness about the whole 'new year' thing. Anyone who reads this blog regularly may, or may not, remember that last year I complained at people who get all nostalgic at the turn of a new year. I know it's meant to be a big deal and everything, but really, the stroke of midnight is just another minute ticking over in a time that never stops. It is no different from midnight on the 23rd April, or the 15th November, or any other day for that matter.

And yet here we are in 2007. It's just another year. What follows will be more problems, more screw ups, more disappointments, more arguments, more hurts and more tears. Last year was a hard year for me, in fact I can probably say that about most years. There's always something that makes life difficult. I try to be optimistic, really I do. And I know how pessimistic this blog is when everyone else is writing good thought provoking blogs about life. But sometimes I just get to the point where optimism escapes me. The Queen song pretty much sums this all up: "The Show Must Go On."

So I'm just going to try and forget that it's a new year. I just want to concentrate on one day at a time.
Happy New Year.

4 comments:

vix said...

I think I probably agree with you on the nostalgie thing... to a certain extent. I think that it is important not to look at the past through rose-tinted spectacles- of course life has its ups and downs... but it is the 'downs', much more than the 'ups' that can help us to move into a new year older, wiser, stronger... more able to cope with what obstacles are thrown at us, and more able to appreciate what is given to us, and the very beauty of life. So, though of course one would never wish to have the 'screw ups, disappointments' etc... In a way I guess we should be thankful for what they may teach us, and how they may help us grow.

Anyway, I hope you are alright, and I hope that this year may consist of loads of ups, not too many downs, and I guess, a whole lotta fun!

Vicky xxx

P.S Did your mum do the swimming in the sea thing?

Emmie-lou said...

I hate New Year. It's stupid and depressing! I don't want to be reminded that another year is over...reminded of the goals I have failed to achieve again! But it is different to other days. It is a chance/excuse for a fresh start. It is the start of a New Year. I am a very pessimistic person also Kat. And everyone keeps telling me how good last year was and I have to disagree. I had a lot of downs last year. But I also had many ups. And although us pessimists tend to remember the downs over the ups. We in no way learn less from good experiences than we do bad. I think that it is the good that allows us to deal/cope with the bad. And at the end of the day...how would we know where up was if we hadn't been down? Life is all relative and even though it is very trying at times we just need to try and see everything in a positive light. No matter how hard that is...and trust me I know how hard it can be. Maybe experience is like publicity? There is no such thing as a bad experience. We learn from all. Happy New Year. Xxx

Tim aka 'pigeon boy' said...

Wow, wandered in on pessimists anonymous! Of course there are going to be bad times in the year. But its how we react to them that matters. I known you're a pessimist so my words are wasted, but taking last year as a whole, what more could you have wanted from it? Yes there were everyday downs and annoyances and upsets, but on a larger scale, looking back at this time last year-could you have wished for much more? Rather than viewing New Year as nothing, view everyday as something-a chance to get up and make your day what you want it to be. You can't change what's going to happen, but it will always be in your hands as to how you react.

Katita said...

"You can't change what's going to happen, but it will always be in your hands as to how you react."

... but sometimes it's just too hard.