Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Life of Luxury

My Christmas present from my Grandma (Anna) was a session at the world renowned Harrogate Spa Corporation Turkish Baths. I'd never been before and was so excited! A really good present I thought.

So last night off we went, Anna and I to the beautiful old Royal Baths building for our evening of luxury. It was wonderful. It made it even better that I went straight from work which had been our busiest evening in weeks I think. We had 25 in the under 8's room and we normally get about 12! And I'd been playing chess with a kid who did not have the faintest foggiest idea of how to play. So yeah I was pretty much playing with myself!

I don't know how many people have ever experienced a Turkish Bath, but I am definately going again. It was so relaxing. Like I said, the building is stunning, it's all been done in the original decoration, beautifully tiled, with carved wooden screens, and big red velvet curtains. Even the floor was intricately tiled. We started off in the least hot of the three hot rooms and it was lovely. Then you just take your time moving around the different areas. The hot rooms, then the steam room (which I'm not a massive fan of, I don't like breathing in hot steam, but it feels good on your skin) and then into the cold plunge pool. The best and the worst bit! It's so hard to get in but once you do it feels wonderful. And of course because you're naked, feeling the cold water all over your skin is an exquisite feeling.

I know I'm possibly one of the least prudish people I know, but it didn't at all feel strange being naked around lots of other naked people, it just felt normal. It was all female of course! And it was really nice to just feel all the water and the heat straight onto your skin. After about two hours of going from hot to cold, we had a hot shower and the showers are those big oldfashioned ones with brass taps and a big flat shower head. Then we got dried and sat in the 'quiet room' for ages just relaxed, warm and half falling asleep. It was so beautiful. I'm running out of adjectives!

I am so determined to go back sometime, it was wonderful and such a great way to relax. I could certianly get used to the life of luxury! It's a shame I can't really but I can have treats now and again!

1 comment:

Emmie-lou said...

It sounded lovely until you got naked...I can't get naked in front of other people...especially my grandma! :-S