Tuesday, February 27, 2007

How much do you like Coca-Cola...

Last weekend, when we were away with a bunch of teenagers from my church at home, we went to a production by a drama company called Riding Lights. They did lots of little sketches about all kinds of issues, like the slave trade, and people trafficking, and cancer. (Go see Tim's blog www.pigeonboy.blogspot.com, sorry I can't remember how to put an actual link in!)

One of the things they drew attention to was the situation with fizzy drink producers, Coca-Cola being the largest as far as I know. You see the problem is that these big companies go and set up shop (or factory but that's not how the phrase goes) in foreign countries to get the cheep labour, and then they proceed to systematically drain the water table from under the local farmers' feet. Quite literally. The farmers can't produce any crop and are often eventually forced into working for the drinks factory for admittedly a fairly good wage, but one which contributes to millions of pounds worth of profits whisking out of the country of production and back to America. Or England, or wherever that paticular country is based.

So not only are they destroying livlihoods, but they are also destroying economies. Wonderful. Enjoy your coke.

I searched just now on the internet for articles etc about this and there are loads. Here are a few...
http://www.indiaresource.org/news/2004/1020.html
http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/30/stories/2005033010080400.htm
http://india.indymedia.org/en/2003/08/6671.shtml
http://www.thesouthasian.org/archives/2004/coke_steals_pollutes_and_spins.html
... the first four results on Google for the search 'coca cola water table'.

Think about it.

2 comments:

Katita said...

Oop just realised I mean to say 'Or England or wheverever that company is based.' Not country!

Nicola said...

Hey Kat, I comment on your blog as I sit next to you in the computer room, skipping a theology seminar as the people looked really scary meh! I was aware about the unethicalness (can't think of another way of putting it, am not awake yet!) of coca cola but just as I am aware of how unethical ther companies are, it's a case of doing something about it! I must admit that I do still drink coke mainly becasue I have been in the past addicted to the stuff and have ben convinced that no other attempt at coke can really come up to scratch but have discovered waitrose own cola which is just as good as the brand stuff and alot cheaper 75p a bottle! I know that it bottled in the UK so I am assuming it doesn't have a factory in a place where the water it would take away from the land would have such a drastic effect! I am ashamed at my apathy sometimes, I simply don't think about these things enough! Love you baldy! lol!! Nic xxx