Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Nearly there.

Well, I am happy to report that I'm feeling a little better today (though I'm fairly sure that's because I'm drugged up to my eyeballs with Lemsip/paracetemol/hot blackcurrant!) and I have ALMOST finished my essays. Yay. Woo. I cannot wait for tomorrow when my marmee is coming to take me shopping.

I read recently on a blog that this person was wishing they could just get on with their life instead of feeling like they were waiting for it all to start. It's funny they should say that because I often feel like that, and I would never have expected this person to feel like that. I sometimes wonder what I am doing with my life, and where I'm going and why. Questions like why am I at university? Why am I studying a course that I enjoy but most likely won't get me a job? Why can't I get married next week? Why am I allowing myself to live such a privilaged life when there's so much I could do to help other people? Sometimes I hate that I have everything I need and want. Mostly I hate it because I know I take it for granted.

I once heard a definition of maturity that I think is very profound. Maturity is the ability to live with the unknown. And yesterday on the Scrubs episode I was watching, Dr Cox told JD that fear is good because it stops you from becoming a crappy doctor, you just have to not let it paralyse you. Both of these bits of advice are very good in answering my questions above. I will never know what is going to happen in 5 hours let alone in 5 years time and sometimes I think it's just better to stop asking questions about the unknown. Because that's the point isn't it, its unknown.

A fear of the future is good, as long as it doesn't paralyse you.
Uncertainty is good, as long as you can live with it and not run away from it.

My life has begun, your life has begun. As long as you're taking air into your lungs, you life has begun. So I guess my point is that we should try to avoid this feeling of waiting for life to start, of waiting for something to happen. Life is what you make of it today, not what you wish could happen tomorrow.

I should take my own advice more often!

No comments: