Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Meaning.

I know this has been covered so many times by so many people, but I want to write it anyway because for me at least it's something I try to think about and get right.
So, I wanted to write about Christmas. I mean why not? It's not that far away! Christmas means so many different things to each individual, and I think it would be good for everyone and anyone to look at the following list of questions about what Christmas is/should be...

What is 'Christmas' for you?
  • A welcome break from a term of studies/a full time job/'normal' life?
  • A couple of days of unbareable family traditions?
  • A holiday that's too short, but wonderfully full of family and fun?
  • A real test at your peacemaking skills when various bitter family members refuse to get on?
  • The best food of the year?
  • A chance to buy people you love something really nice and get excited about the new things you'll get?
  • Too stressful in every way imaginable?
  • The only time of the year you feel like you should go to church?
  • Your favourite time of the year?
  • Or something more...?
Ok then, so what about Jesus? Even the word Christmas has 'Christ' in it... who is Jesus?
  • The grubby looking doll in the nativity in the shopping centre?
  • A nice man who told us nice things to do in our life?
  • A man who was able to do miracles?
  • A good example?
  • A nutter?
  • Someone who allowed himself to be killed, which admittedly is admirable, but doesn't really achieve anything?
  • Or something more...?
I love Christmas. I really do and I think it's my favourite time of the year. I love mince pies. I love Christmas lights. I love mulled wine. I love being with my family. I love the build up of advent calenders. I love singing carols. I love giving presents. I love getting up early on Christmas morning. I love sitting in piles of wrapping paper that you've just ripped off all the presents. I love decorating Christmas trees. I love the cold weather. I love Christmas.

But a few years ago, when I spent Christmas in Peru where they don't have anything like the number of traditions we have in England, I complained and felt totally 'un-Christmassy' because there were none of the things I've listed above. It wasn't a proper Christmas as far as I was concerned.

Until someone reminded me what Christmas is about. It is not about any of my favourite things. Sure those things make it fun, and make it special. But Christmas is all about Jesus. Regardless of who you think Jesus is, Christmas would not exist without him! And so I encourage you, whatever your beliefs or whatever you think about Christianity, or church, or Jesus. Think about what Christmas really is. Christmas is an amazing time of year because it's a celebration of God's amazing sacrifice. He sent Jesus into this world, this messed up, horrible world, so that he could die in our place and set us free from every wrong thing we've ever done. And in my mind, that's a million times more amazing than any amount of mince pies.

No comments: