Thursday, July 20, 2006

Say hello to...

Charlene*. Possibly one of the strangest kids on the planet. She's five years old, cackles like a witch, has head lice and actually has white skin. I kid you not that her skin is white. White I tell you! It looks like she's had talc rubbed permanently into her skin! A number of the other children comment about how strange she looks.

But aside from her appearence, Charlene has won my heart. I love her. She's such a little darling and just loves to be around people. She always wants to hold me hand, hug my leg, sit on my knee... (the latter of which is great when I can actually see the lice crawling around her hair.)

The thing is that Charlene is blatently neglected at home. I met her mother for the first time this morning, it's always been her 15 year old sister who brings and collects her. As far as I know, today was the first time ever that her mother has actually shown up in person to the kids club. It seems that no-one really bothers with her at home, she's come with a big thick fleece for the past three days and I've been meling in the heat just looking at her. When all the other reception kids had a bug day, Tony came as a bumble bee, Larry came as the cutest little ladybird in the world... and Charlene had nothing. The poor child is crawling with head-lice and no-one's done anything about it. It truely breaks my heart and I worry about how she's going to turn out. I don't think she gets nearly enough love and attention. I get very protective over her and often yell at the other kids to leave her alone, but you see because she's so small they take advantage of her and delight in scaring her, or taking her toys from her. So I just get really mad with them!

I really love her, and her strange little ways!

*again I've changed her name.

2 comments:

Helen said...

I think you need to tell someone about the head lice situation! Firstly its harming her and putting the other kids in danger. Sorry to put a dampen on such a heart breaking blog.XX

Katita said...

Oh no it's ok, everyone knows. She's had three letters sent home and we've told all the other parents that there's a case of headlice. But no-one's doing anything about it and there really isnt' much else we can do. But yeah it is really sad and I feel so sorry for her.