Thursday, March 15, 2007

Corinne Bailey Rae.

So, here's a run down of last night, because it was AMAZING!!!

We had worked out that we should leave at 5.10pm to get to the station on time (Burbage doesn't like lateness!) and we were all set and ready to go. Actually no, that's a lie. We were so not ready! Couldn't get hold of Heather who'd gone AWOL, couldn't find my jacket, tea wouldn't cook quick enough, couldn't decide which earrings to wear... you know the usual. There was running and shouting and craziness until at 5.10pm on the dot, Ffion and myself left the house with Sarah (who was just hanging around because we are so cool) with our tea in plastic bowels so we could eat it on the way. Which was fun, especially when Sarah made Ffion laugh and potato went everywhere! hee hee. (sorry Ffi)

At the station. On the train. All was well and we took lots of fun photos...Then we went to O'Neil's in Newcastle for some food: yummy cheesy chips. And waited for Heather and Nicola who arrived not long afterwards.
THEN we went over to the Carling Academy. I was so excited, I kept jumping up and down! (As well as looking over my shoulder for Dracula. I kid you not, he is following me around.) We queued up and signed an Oxfam petition and went in!!!

Yay! We waited AAAAAAges for something to happen and took even more photos in the meantime, annoying the people around us. Meh, whatcha gonna do?! Then there was the support act who was so sweet! I don't think that's the look he was going for, but I just wanted to give him a big hug! I think his name was Jackson Reading or something, I'll google him later. He was pretty good, acoustic american folky etc, I especially liked the harmonica! Might bring mine next term and be all bohemian!

Then, wait for it..... CORINNE BAILEY RAE! (can you tell I was abit excited?!) She was amazing. Absolutely incredible, I can't explain it properly without hand jestures! She just sings with this awesome voice like she's not even trying! And she looked like she was having so much fun, it was like there was no-where else she wanted to be in the whole world.There she is! With her cup of tea and everything! And her band was amazing too, they were so cool to watch! I especially loved the guy who played the flute and the baritone sax (not at the same time!) and the bass player who had an electric double bass! How cool is that?! Anyways, so after the amazingness of Corinne Bailey Rae, we went off to some bar and then to another bar/club. And I think they were both gay bars... (sorry Burbage, I'm not very good at telling!) Anyways, the DJ in the second place (called Gossip) was funny. He was having a go at us because we weren't buying enough drinks! He didn't believe we were students! Oh yeah I forgot to say, it being a Wednesday, the place was practically empty. Then he called me Brittney Spears (cos of the hair!) and said I had a nice smile. Then he called Ffion a 'trainee lesbian', teased Burbage for sitting between two straight guys on her birthday and just generally made us laugh.

The train home was interesting. Do you remember that blog I wrote about the 'Durham student stereotype'? Well, all of them were on that train. A big group of boys, blatently from Hatfield, they might as well have been carrying banners, totally drunk, singing college songs and... doing drugs. I'm not joking I saw the guy snorting coke. On a train. I couldn't believe my eyes and I wish to the ends of the earth I was mistaken. For one they're ruining their lives, believe it or not I have seen what drungs can do to someone and it's destroying. And for another, that's what we all get labelled with. A small population of the student number get us this terrible reputation. I couldn't be further away from them in terms of who I am. But it doesn't matter. I go to Durham.

Still, aside from that, we all got home safe and sound nice and early in the morning. And overall had an incredible night. Today I've been falling asleep in my lectures and now I'm meant to be going out with Tim et al and really I'd quite like a night in watching a film. But I don't want to be alone and all my housemates are out. So I think I'll go and meet them even just for a little bit.

Hope you didn't get too bored of my long run down of the night! It's home again home again tomorrow... mixed feelings about that. But that's another story.

Bye.

No comments: