Monday, March 26, 2007

Brassed Off.

I went last night with my parents to a fundraising concert for the Royal Hall in Harrogate. It's the only something-or-other left in Britain and the roof fell in a few years ago so they're restoring it now and have run out of money. The concert was a collection of brass bands, concert bands and a choir from the Harrogate area and my brother, Edd, was playing in two of them. The first one he was just helping out but they played a piece that I know so so so well. It's called Trailblaze by Goff Richards and was the 'title piece' of my school concert band. We played it for the Queen when she came to Harrogate, and also on the stage at the Royal Albert Hall when we won the band section of the Schools Prom. Edd's actual band, Tewit Brass Band were brilliant. Edd played the solo in the Post Horn Gallop, on a post horn! It was fantastic.

However, I always find it hard to go and listen to bands like that. My school concert band wasn't even there but that whole lifestyle was such a big part of my life when I was younger that I really do miss it now. I don't know if I can explain properly, but anyone who's ever been a strong and dedicated member of any kind of ensemble will know what I'm talking about. It's the most amazing feeling to sit on a stage with up to 100 other people, blow down this tube of metal and make an incredible noise. Together. There it is, that's the point. It's together. I remember at the International Festival one year I was sat next to a couple of Armenians who didn't speak a word of English and it was all abit awkward, until we started playing and then it didn't make the slightest different what language we spoke because we could all play music. Together.

Have you ever seen the film Brassed Off? It's one of my favourite films, partly because it makes me cry. Alot. But also that way of life is something I can connect with a little bit. Remember the guy who's wife moves out and he has to sell everything he owns because of the debt he's in? But he doesn't sell his trombone. That's all he has to escape from the hell he lives in. Playing in a band, performing in a concert, it's such a step away from normal life. What I mean is that you come together, all wearing the same uniform, sit down and play. Together. It's something amazing that I can't properly explain but I miss it now it's gone.

1 comment:

Emmie-lou said...

I miss it sometimes to...:-)