Sunday, September 10, 2006

Retail Therapy

How and why does it really work? Seriously, all you girls out there, when you are feeling really down and just a little bit rubbish, buying something really truely does help you to feel better.
Surely that's a really stupid thing, that parting with your well earned money for something that may be pretty but certainly isn't essential and will probably get thrown out in a couple of months when fashions change... it actually makes you feel like things are ok again. I am right aren't I ladies?

I just got back from town with my mum who announced just before lunch "I feel really down and I need to buy something" So off we went to town where she's shifted a hefty lump of cash. And now she's all happy and smiley and trying on all her lovely new clothes for my dad... who in turn is sitting on the sofa, trying to watch Crocodile Dundee occasionallynodding and uttering the required "yes dear" after any question. I swear that I am not being stereotypical here. Ok well, maybe I am, but those stereotypes have some grounding you know!

I just don't really understand how and why retail therapy really does honestly make you feel better when you're down. I don't get it. But it sure as hell works for me!

4 comments:

Nicola said...

I know what you mean! What's worse is if you really want some retail therapy and don't really have the money i.e. get really tempted to go just ten pounds into your overdraft for those pair of lovely studs as you don't have any studs and studs are very essential items lol! This is what I went through yesterday! I also tried on a lovely dress in evans! That type of dress was all over the shelves in topshop and I loved them all but ofcourse I couldn't fit into any of them as topshop is for skinnies! lol anywho I saw just that type of dress in my suze in evans tried it on, LOVED it and debated for ages, much to the frustration of my friend who was with me, whether to get it but I didn't in the end! The dress actually made me look like I have a waist it was marvellous! Not marvellous enough for me to part with £35 I don't really have until next week!

Ffi said...

Retail therapy is to the consumerist/retail world what chocolate is to the confectionary world!
I agree with you 100% kit, retail therapy and dairy milk a girls 2 best and most loyal friends!

Helen said...

cos looking gorgeous makes you feel great!! and you only buy things that make you feel good baout yourself, hence the going from down in the dumps to all happy and smiley. bu it know what you mean, maybe one day someone will do a study on it!!

Emmie-lou said...

Buy the dress!!!