Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly...

...on me.

No joke. The number of people who wished me luck in ´sunny Spain´before I left was incredible, and it´s just like being in Durham! Rain, cold, rain, wind, rain... did I say rain? It hasn´t stopped raining for ages and what´s worse is that it isn´t proper rain at all, no, it´s "that fine rain that soaks you right through". In the imnortal words of Peter Kay.

But, life goes on. I need to buy me some more rain clothes, but apart from that it´s all fine and dandy. The weekend was my first full weekend in Reinosa which was fun. It´s nice being all lazy in the mornings and just reading and watching kids´TV! Then on Saturday night the library had a kind of open day type event that ran from 5pm on Saturday evening until 5am on Sunday morning. Somehow gaining an hour in the middle as the clocks went back.

I went for most of the middle part where they had a traditional singer who had the most beautifully clear voice, and she sang some really beautiful songs. She played a tamborine/drum thing amazingly, and there was a clarinetist with her (who turned out to be an English teacher and spoke French too!) and some of the songs had guitar accompaniement too. My favourite song was about the miners and a woman singing about watching them every day going down and then up and then down and then up ("bajar y subir. Subir y bajar y bajar y subir") Thought I´d put the Spanish in to make me look good. Then they had some poetry reading which was beautiful. It was a little strange when they had food because Mélanie and I found it really hard to pluck up the courage to speak to anyone. I find it hard enough in England! But then one of the teachers from the school came along and it was easier with her to be introduced to people etc.

This week is all fine so far, we´re watching Harry Potter with the year 9s. I realised it is actually years since I saw the first film and it looks so old now! But it´s funny all the same, and Ron has a very strong London accent which I´m fairly sure he doesn´t in the later films... I´ve been doing lots of reading and studying for next year and I´m feeling quite smug. I´m sure the novelty will wear off sooner or later. And today I finished reading Swallows and Amazons and I really wish I was living on an island in the middle of a lake in the Lake District!

I´m going back to England this Friday (in case anyone hadn´t noticed!) and I´m very much excited, Planet of Sound on Friday and lots of good times I´m sure. I´m going to bring back Marmite for them to eat. Mwah ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa. I bought a can of Baked Beans the other day too, I don´t even like them that much it just felt like I wanted to eat something very English! They were wonderful!

Anyways, as you can probably tell that is about all the news I can think of right now. If you´re in Durham/Harrogate then I can´t wait to see you this weekend, if not then sorry, and I can´t wait to see you whenever I next will! lol.

I hope all is well with everyone else and it´s not raining as much in England as it is here!
Love x

2 comments:

Emmie-lou said...

Hehe...no rain here!!! Just cold, cold, cold temperatures!!! Am looking forward to seeing you!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.