Sunday, June 25, 2006

life, the universe and everything

Hello from sunny Harrogate.

I've just been reading everyone elses blogs, whilst eating pancakes, and it would be so apt for me to add my thoughts on the year, coming home, being in Durham/not being in Durham. We have all written very much the same thing, that the year has been amazing and we're all feeling melancholic having left, and we are all going to be facing various issues over the summer, for the most part, alone away from each other. University life is such a strange concept, we are all forced to live two lives and it is very hard in many ways to equate them both.

One of the things that was talked about in church today was how everyone wants to lead a profitable and fulfilling life. We all want to see the purpose and feel the fruits of our actions and lives and I guess one of the difficult things about coming home is having to get new goals and actions from the ones we have in Durham. But I think there is something pretty important to learn here, that our goals shouldn't really change that dramatically. If I think about the things I want to achieve in my life, and the kind of person that I want to become, it really is a challenge to strave for that just as much in Harrogate, where nothing much happens, as in Durham where I feel my life is 'lived' much more fully.

I've said this before, but a philosophy I want to have is that in view of the fact we can never get back a single minute of life lived, surely the most important way to live is so not waste a single minute of the life we have.

2 comments:

Tim aka 'pigeon boy' said...

indeed. Veyr philosophical. I do struggle with the 'not wasting a minute of your life' in world where facebook exists!!

Emmie-lou said...

Tim! FAcebook is fantastic! I'm sure I couldn't survive without it over the hols!!! It's notr wasting time! It's saving time telling people later...when the moment has been adn gone!